Coach Smith's Story
St John's College High School
Since becoming the Director of Sport Performance at St. John’s College High School in 2014 Coach Smith has extensively changed the athletic program into a culture of excellence.
Coach Smith accomplished this by focusing on purposeful programming for all types of athletes. Coach Smith brought world class and cutting-edge techniques in performance training, mental skills and nutrition tailored specifically to various levels and demographics.
Coach Smith designed fully integrated performance spaces with well-designed strength and conditioning, cardiovascular, recovery, nutrition facilities. That process has been validated with historic success at St. John’s College High School athletics and in the lives of the athletes that Matt has been able to work with.
In coach Matt Smith’s first five years as the director of sport performance at St. John’s, the school won more WCAC championships than it had won in the previous fifteen, while consistently competing against nationally ranked opponents, including:
- a historic football championship (first time in 28 years)
- boys basketball championship (first time in 16 years)
- girls basketball championship (finished the season with a top 5 national ranking)
- lacrosse championship (first in school history)
- girls cross country championship (first in school history)
- girls track and field championship (first in school history)
- girls ice hockey championship (first in school history)
- wrestling championship (first time in 38 years)
- three consecutive field hockey championships (including the first championship victory in school history).
St. John’s athletics has continued to build on this record breaking momentum through present day with world class sport performance training being it’s secret sauce.
During Coach Smith’s years at IMG Academy he had the privilege of working with young prodigies, some of the top professional athletes in the world and regular professional adults that wanted world class training.
Coach Smith’s skill and passion for sport performance was quickly recognized and he was recruited to DC to creative, manage and execute St. John’s sport performance training platform.